Friday, March 2, 2007

Flickr 200, Google 10,000

Update March 17: Google now provide over 1GB free for photos - around 10,000 photos at web sizes! Plus you can access all your Blogger embedded pics from Picasa to manage them, or re-use them elsewhere.
So... you can pay Flickr, or get more from Google free. Less for more, or, more for nothing.. hmm.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Got hooked on Flickr - its easy to use and has really fast upload tools.

Got hooked on Google for their web-based services like calendars, doc/sheet editor, and the Firefox plugin that uses your 2.7GB Google space as an FTP storage site. Well I thought I'd take a look at Picasa, the less cool-named (vaguely nasty sounding even) Google version of Flickr.

You get free web-based photo sharing, and the ability to make albums or sets with both. Both have a paid upgrade option which gives you acres of www land.

But I noticed that Flickr only allows 200 photos and 3 sets with their free service.

Google give you 250 MB for photos free, which works out to 1250 photos at sizes suitable for web viewing!

Plus, Google's Blogger service provides you with 300MB with your blog account - that's almost 1500 photos (gotta leave space for text entries)!

So while I like Flickr's convenience - Google has pretty much caught up with the current Picasa version, and you get WAY more photos online at Google.

So find me at the nds-2-b-shtr URL: picasaweb.google.com/legion.will/

Get Googled >>